CALLING OUT THE ONES TO BE SET APART (HOLY) AND READY TO DO GOD’S WILL
* Scripture Reading: Romans 12: 1 -2
* Book of Rules [R.L. Sharpe’s poem, adapted to Reggae hit song by the Heptones]
We are calling out common people like you and me to be builders for eternity. Each of us is given a bag of tools, a shapeless mask and a book of rules … [song refrain]
- ○ Each is given a bag of tools ...The Bag of tools is given to build up the church. Ephesians 4: 11, 12 . He gave some to be … Pastors … to equip the saints . The tools for the work of ministry are worship, prayer, study, evangelism, fellowship and outreach … God also gave us tools for spiritual warfare to defend our MINISTRY work. Ephesians 6: 14 – 18, Put on the whole armor of God …
- ○ A shapeless mask ... Each generation must, out of relative obscurity (uncertainty) search for its vision, find it, and fulfill it, or betray it … God works in the confusion and nothingness of our life … Lord prepare me to be a sanctuary [lyrics]
- ○A book of rules …. Wesleyan Quadilateral … the rules are in scriptures, tradition, reason and personal experience …These four elements taken together bring the individual Christian to spiritual maturity and fulfillment … to the full measure of Christ.
* Calling out the saints
We are calling common people like you and me to do uncommon things.
- ○ Come out of Hiding ... Some are hiding in the dark, but we must beware of the strange things that grow in dark … Come as you are, struggling with your issues, bound up and tied down, downpressed and depressed, shackled by a heavy load … Shackled by a heavy burden [song lyrics]
- ○ Don’t delay, just do it. …Now is the acceptable time … Don’t wait … Whenever God calls for you, run to the altar to receive your blessing. God is an ever present help in times of trouble.
- ○ Remove the block ... Systems of denial, defense mechanisms … False Pride: What would the neighbor’s think … Minimization: I only do it on weekends … Anger: Besides, it is none of your business … Rationalization / Blame: If my wife or husband treated me better, I wouldn’t be in this mess…. Compliance: Okay, I have a problem, but I guess this is just the way I am … [secretly says] I’ll do what you say but I’m not changing]
CONCLUSION: CALLING OUT ALL SAINTS
* 1 John 3: 1 – 2
Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God …
* Revelation 7: 9-1
I looked, and behold, a great multitude … Salvation belongs to our God.
* WHEN THE SAINTS GO MARCHING IN [song lyrics